One of my favorite things about CrossFit, is that everything we do is measurable and repeatable. This makes tracking progress easy. It also creates a perfect framework for setting and demolishing personal fitness goals. Many of us just completed the CrossFit Open. The Open is a great measuring stick to show us our weaknesses.
Moving forward, we have a great opportunity to start making our weaknesses our strengths. It is critical that as we go through the goal setting process that we keep in mind some important variables. Once we have identified an area that we want to improve, for example: pull-ups, muscle-ups, double-unders, handstand push-ups, etc.. We can start to build a game plan.
Our goals should follow the SMART template.
They should be:
- Specific – state exactly what you want to accomplish.
- Measurable – how do we evaluate our performance objectively, (reps, weight, new movement, etc..)
- Achievable – set goals that are challenging, but attainable.
- Relevant – how does this tie into my overall fitness and quality of life
- Time Bound – set target dates that, and break the goals up into smaller milestones as needed, always keeping the long term goal in mind.
At Anvil Athletic and Generator CrossFit we are putting together some tools to help you reach your goals.
- Look for our new integration with “Beyond the Whiteboard”
- Please come in and write your refreshed goals on the goal board
- We also offer personal programming to help reach your specific goals. If you are stuck on a skill or movement, please come in and let us show you how we can help
Lastly, here is a short video clip on the mental mindset necessary to start crushing your goals: